Skip to main content

Review: Super Soaker EP by Louis La Roche


Released through his label Ever After in December 2009 - Norwich-based producer, singer-songwriter and DJ Louis La Roche's third EP truly is such an incredible release - and although it's short - it packs a massive punch in around ten minutes with three supercharged filter house classics with just the right amount of groove, loose funk and slamming production.

I've been listening to it heavily for the last six months, and just like his other major releases from his formative years as a French house producer, this EP oozes with magnificent quality. Super Soaker's opener Malfunction proves that excellently - it's a deep, heavy and slightly hypnotic club workout stuffed with fantastic vocal chops and light, airy synths which feels like an extremely welcome crossover between the work featured on Daft Punk's first two albums - while also calling on the work of various late 90s house legends such as Paul Johnson and Roy Davis with the thumping beats and superb production. 

The titular track couldn't be more different - an idiosyncratic, strange abstract house jam that likely attempts to play on the late 2000s work of Mr. Oizo with a rambunctious club twist, Super Soaker is odd, almost confusing at times, but above all extremely funky, loose and incredibly interesting, making it one of the most wild tracks of the blog-era disco explosion. I guarantee upon first listen you'll be fighting with yourself over whether it sounds right! (Trust me, it does grow on you - I've always wondered what those kids are saying though...)

Finally, Super Soaker closes with the glitzy, stylish classic that is Prick Stick. A very obvious nod to the post disco era of the early 80s - although this track is an addictive, catchy filter house cut - thanks to its tight, punchy sound (likely due to the Linn drums being used!) and the glitchy, almost frenetic sample chops - I feel like if you dropped this in an American discotheque of the late 70s (including one very famous Manhattan nightclub, need I say more?) it would go down very, very well. 

To sum it up - this EP is legendary, and one of my all time favourites. It really demonstrates Louis' endless talent, and if you ask me - this is the best display of his earlier work as an artist by far. It's energetic, effortlessly catchy, filled with great hooks, slamming beats and above all - it truly is disco-influenced music for the club. Go and buy / stream it!

Rating: 9/10

You can find Super Soaker on all good streaming platforms - but if you want to support Louis directly - go and buy it from his Bandcamp, linked below.


I hope you've enjoyed reading this review - and as always, keep enjoying your stay at the discotheque!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview: The Phantom's Revenge

Hey everyone - welcome back at the discotheque! Today, we have an extremely special person in the blog's virtual hot seat - French master and house music legend The Phantom's Revenge - a pioneer of the late 2000s filter house scene who has influenced pretty much everyone in the modern filter house scene - and has since released for legendary labels such as Nervous, La Valigetta, Happiness Therapy and Montaime, remixed the likes of Peking Duk, Grum, Calvin Harris and Moullinex amongst many others, released several epic mixtapes which have received acclaim, he has millions of streams across various platforms - and he has played in over forty cities in a career that spans almost two decades and counting. It is an absolute honor, to have him on the blog - and without further ado, I'll let him do the talking! For those who don’t know you – who are you, where are you from, and what music do you make? Hi, I’m Anthony, I’m from NĂ®mes in the south of France - I have been making musi...

Interview: Ghosts of Venice

Hey everyone - welcome back at the discotheque! It's been a hot minute since there was an interview on the blog - and to make up for that, tonight we have somebody extremely special in the virtual hot seat - the incredible Ghosts of Venice. Known for his illustrious career spanning over a decade and a half - he's released on some of house music's biggest labels, produced some of the hottest tracks and remixes around, has over a billion streams under his belt - and he's also a pretty cracking DJ and promoter. With all of this in mind - I knew he had to get onto the blog! So, without further ado - I'll let him do the talking! For those who don’t know – who are you, what music do you make and where are you from?  My name is Lee Dunn, and I’ve gone by many monikers over the years, but most people know me as Ghosts of Venice. These days I mostly make Disco, and I’m from North Yorkshire, England. If you had to describe your sound to someone who’s never listened to your mu...

Drops and news from the first two weeks of March!

Hey everyone - welcome back at the discotheque! We're now halfway through March (spring is finally arriving, yay!) - and over the last two weeks - there has been so, so many amazing released and a bunch of dope news. In this post - there are several people who regular readers will know - and also a bunch of new talents that are making their debut on the blog. Get the popcorn. This is going to be an extra special post! Let's get started! Discoholic (feat. Vampire Loves Sunny) - Sparkle On! One of my favourite releases to come out so far this year - the brand new single from Washington D.C based DJ, producer and multi-instrumentalist Discoholic is absolutely incredible - and it brings me so, so much joy. As always, the production on this single is absolutely phenomenal - it's effortlessly clean, sparkly (see what I did there?) and extremely bright and fun. As per usual, the instrumentation is gorgeous, rich and glittery - making it a perfect track to spin at parties, or just ...